środa, 23 listopada 2022

Od Asmodaya, Quest XII, cz. II

The demon obediently followed the wolf between the numerous lumber and machines under construction. Asmoday had still not found a sufficient power source, so even the fully completed projects were littered aimlessly on the floor. Only the basic generators and tanks were operational, lighting up the dark laboratory with a red gleam. 
"What is in those kegs?" the monster asked, stopping beside one of them and pressing long fingers to the glass.
"I call it an essence. My own fills most of the tanks here, the one obtained from others is located higher." 
"What is it made from?" demon sounded a bit disturbed, as if hearing the truth would somehow offend him. 
"This one, here, is extracted from the very core of your being. In simpler terms, mostly blood. I experiment with different types of essence. The most basic one, that you are seeing right now, is meant for enhancing your natural abilities, and it basically keeps my test subjects alive." Asmoday explained calmly, like a master imparting knowledge to a student. "Other types of this substance are extracted, for example, from magic particles, wisdom, or extreme emotions - like pain."
"And how are you using them?" 
"My, my, you sure are quite curious. I thought I would be the one to ask questions" a strange, low growl came from the wolf's throat, as if he wanted to laugh, but was not quite able to. 
After climbing the metal stairs, they entered the main part of the laboratory. In the center of a round, large room, at least ten meters high, was a huge metal sphere from which emitted a strange bright purple light. Hung on heavy chains from above and below, it stayed halfway up the room. It looked like some kind of mechanism, but like all the rest, it was inactive. 
"Don't mind it, it doesn't work as it should. This core is made from pure energy that is unknown to this world. The system that holds the energy inside the container was created by myself, as the energy is too unstable to be on its own." Circling the sphere, the wolf took the first left turn, disappearing into the darkness of the corridor. "I'm still working on automating the entire lab. I am missing many parts, maybe I would have to invent some new systems to keep it all going"
"Man, you really are weird" the demon's voice dripped with admiration. 
After all, the lab was truly phenomenal. It was far ahead of the rest of the kingdom in terms of technology. It seemed as if the demon had teleported several centuries forward as he passed through an iron gate. He sensed the horrible things that had happened here and would continue to happen. Leaving the corridor, they entered a room much smaller than the previous one. Chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, seven black candles at each of them, were quickly lit to illuminate the area. In the center were two full-body seats facing each other, with IV stands beside each. There were also small tables next to them, as well as some strange tubes and cables. By the walls there were shelves and desks with tools and glass flasks containing ingredients with different properties. They were disordered, seemed to be completely randomized, but neither of them were tagged. One could also see numerous shelves filled with books.
"Please, take a seat" the wolf suggested, pointing to one of the seats. The demon obediently sat in one of them, it was cold and hard, and there were marks of struggle on its surface. Abrasions, scratches, and blood stains decorated the material like souvenirs. 
The wolf approached the demon, along with the paper scroll stretch out in front of him. It was old and or burned in some parts. Asmoday found it by accident on one of his journeys, and was sure it was related to some mechanisms from the past that he was trying to recreate. 
"That's my scroll" the monster announced. "Reading this incantation summons me to the living world."
"So my carelessness caused your presence. What would happen if this scroll would get destroyed?" the wolf asked, placing the scroll on one of the table tops.
"How surprising this may sound, I don't know" the creature had never even thought about it. And actually, no one before thought about it. Maybe because his previous clients had always called him on purpose. 
"Huh. And why are you usually summoned?" 
"Well, they request my presence, they tell me what they desire, and I give it to them in exchange for their soul. Their dream comes true, they live until their time runs out and after their death, I reap their soul" the demon explained, with pride in his voice.
"Are there wishes beyond your abilities? What happens then?" Asmoday asked, suddenly seeming much more interested.
"Of course. Although I have never encountered one. In such a situation, the conclusion of the contract is canceled." The demon hesitated. "I can give you everything, money, love, more power. More knowledge, that will satisfy you. I can tell you details about all your machines, one look was enough for me to know everything about them. I know how to activate them and use them, I know where the parts come from. I know how to make your experiments successful." He vowed, his words soft with sweet promises. 
"We will come back to that. I don't want to be distracted, I need to ask you a few more questions" the male buried deeply his growing desire to just impulsively agree and took one of the syringes from the table. 
"Do you want to take my blood?" 
"Indeed. Please don't move" He said, sticking a needle into the demon's body and hoping it hit a vein.
A deep black, thick substance emerged into the syringe and filled the tube. Surely he would have to examine the substance carefully afterwards.
"How old are you?" Asmoday asked, after putting the tube in a suitable locker. 
"I have seen the birth and death of stars, I think I wouldn't find the right number even if I wanted to" The demon replied after a moment's thought. "And I will live eternity, I suppose."
"So you were born as a demon? Or did you get corrupted after being another creature?" 
"I wasn't born. At least not in a mortal's concept of birth. I would say I was created, even though I don't have a single creator, either. I've always been like this, I've never been younger, and I'll never get old" 
"And do you possess a soul of your own?" 
The wolf's question had visibly distracted the monster. He himself had no answer to this question.
"If you consider the soul as it is for mortals, no. In other sense, yes."
"And how would it apply to me?" 
"After you die, your soul experiences the afterlife. If you sell it, you do not have that privilege as it is consumed by a demon that you sold it to" 
"Is it possible for a mortal's soul to become like yours? Existing and non-existent at the same time?"
"I don't know. I think some creatures have such potential, but I have never encountered such a phenomenon"
"I see. So if I sell my soul I get everything I desire, but I deprive myself of the possibility of afterlife?"
"Exactly."
He honestly thought the price would be at higher stake. His goal met with just a snap, at the simple cost of afterlife. No wonder everyone agreed to such a deal. 
"Fine. I will sell my soul" Asmoday announced. 
"What is it that you desire?"

Nagroda: 10 punktów do magii

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Layout by Netka Sidereum Graphics